My client is an eCommerce based retailer of plumbing supplies. They are a wholly owned subsidiary of the 2nd largest, privately held, distributor of plumbing, heating, and industrial supplies in North America.
My client is seeking a Division Controller, who will report directly to the General Manager and is responsible for 3 key areas:
- Managing day-to-day Accounts Payable (AP), Accounts Receivable (AR), Accounting, Sales Tax compliance & internal financial statement preparation
- Financial planning and analysis
- Operations management as related to order processing, credits/returns, and freight management
The Division Controller will have 2-3 direct reports, including an AP team member, and a manager of operations, with a total team size of 10-12 team members. This position will have a ‘hard’ dotted-line reporting relationship with the New Ventures Controller of the parent company. Financials are rolled up into parent company financials, so income tax and treasury functions are minimal.
A successful Division Controller must be hands-on, and embrace building infrastructure, processes, and teams, as well as digging into the detail transactions when necessary. Because of continuing growth, roles and responsibilities evolve quite frequently. We are flexible in drawing the lines between traditional finance functions, analytics, and operations throughout the organization, so the Division Controller can have great influence in shaping this role.
Preferred Education & Experience:
This person must thrive in a very fast-paced entrepreneurial culture by effectively managing simultaneous projects, while having the following:
- Strong financial acumen, with the ability to dig deep into the numbers to understand the ‘why’, beyond just the ‘what’
- Experience in an online eCommerce business, a technology business, or similar environment
- Experience managing and developing finance/accounting and operations teams
- Experience with day-to-day functions of AP, AR, and Accounting
- Account reconciliation knowledge and experience
- At least 7 years of management experience
- Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or its equivalent
- Public accounting experience preferred
- Passed all parts of the CPA exam
- Great team player, who works closely with peers (marketing head, technology head, analytics head) in helping manage, understand, and improve the business
- Thoughtful leader and willing to make difficult decisions
- Microsoft Excel guru!
- Team player, looking to drive the business and build a career
- Technologist, embracing several software implementations & solutions to run the Finance organization
- Eclipse software experience (nice to have)
- Commitment to strong values and integrity
- Reports to the General Manager. Collaborates cross functionally with Technology, Marketing, Merchandising, Customer Service and Sales teams
- Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI with opportunity to work remote
- Limited travel
- Minimal supervision day to day
- Great compensation package, including competitive pay, Medical/Rx, Dental, Vision Plan, Flex Spending Account, Sick Leave, Paid Vacation, STD, Life, 401(k), Retirement Cash Account Plan, Employee Assistant Program, casual work environment, and many other perks and benefits
- Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and is a drug-free workplace.